This is where to find the latest drivers for the AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter which support Mac’s Sierra (10.12.x) OS (and beyond).
A good alternative for Apple’s own Gigabit Ethernet Adapter which consumes a Thunderbolt port — or the USB 2.0 device which only goes up to 100 Mbit/s.
The box comes equipped with a driver installation CD — however, you may proceed to responsibly dispose of it as the latest drivers can easily be obtained online from the original manufacturer website. And who owns a CD drive anyway..?
AmazonBasics uses the chipset “AX88179” made by ASIX Electronics Corporation. Here are the simple steps to install drivers.
- Proceed to official website of AX88179 Ethernet Controller
- Scroll down for “Apple Mac OS X 10.6 to 10.12 Drivers Installer”
- Download ZIP file and open the DMG container within, ex: “AX88179_178A.dmg”
- Install drivers package, ex: “AX88179_178A_v2.8.0.pkg”
- Reboot your Mac or Macbook
- The new ethernet controller will be visible in the System Preference’s Network settings. It works like any Mac native ethernet port would.
- Enjoy Gigabit speeds without sacrificing your Thunderbolt connection!
For comments, questions, you’ll find the comments box below!